Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Reading

Well, my semester at school is coming to an end. This semester was my "literacy block". There are three blocks and one semester of student teaching in the TnTech education program. Next semester is my Kindergarten block which I am looking forward to immensely.

I have learned so much this semester about reading and the importance of it in education. My professor Dr. K has a PhD in literacy and she is really an advocate of research based reading lessons.

I want to share a few things that I am taking away from this semester as a Mom. First, it is never to early to expose your child to books. Also, environmental print is important too. That is why my house is labeled excessively. Dr. K taught me that contrary to what I was taught growing up, we do not read by sounding out words. Most of the words we read, we do so by sight. We look at the whole word and know what it is without sounding it out. The more sight words a child knows, the better reader they will be.

She uses the example of McDonald's. Very young children can "read" this word without even knowing what a letter or a word is. For this reason, I post all of Katie's spelling words for the week on the door in the kitchen. Every time she goes to leave, she sees those words. It takes me like 5 min. to write them down and cut them and tape them to the door. Plus, Chas learns them too!

I have enjoyed school so much this semester. I am so glad that I have this opportunity to go back as an adult. It is so much better than when I was younger. Back then, I could care less and I retained practically nothing. I feel like this time around, I am absorbing everything. I just love it. I hope this post doesn't sound preachy. I just wanted to share some things that I learned and that I have tried to do in my home to help my own kids become better readers. Reading really is the foundation of a good education.

2 comments:

gretchen said...

Ditto! I agree so much. I used to just worry about how my hair looked before a final...now I actually worry about the final and don't even remember to brush my hair. It is so much better! It sounds like you are way ahead of me. Wish we were doing this together. I'd love to talk some time.

The Craven's said...

very well said. I totally agree. period.

Moffitt's

Eric, Kristi, Chas, and Katie