Monday, December 8, 2008

SCREEEECH Owl!!!

So this morning I woke up at 4:30 am, like normal. I must have an internal alarm clock because I wake up at that time almost every day... anyway, I got up and Eric, who never really went to bed (which is also normal) was on the couch watching t.v.


So, he says he was waiting for me to get up to get the bird out of the stove. There was a bird stuck in our fireplace insert that is like a woodstove that is in our living room (that's the best way I can explain it). He figured it was a small bird that fell down the chimney and I guess just wanted to wait for me so he could scare me. Anyway, he was about to put some gloves on and get it out when he looked in the stove with the flashlight and stepped back and said, "that's an owl!".


Yes, we had an owl trapped in the fireplace. After a few minutes of freaking out, I immediately started coming up with a plan to get it out. I wanted to trap it in a blanket and take it out that way, but Eric decided it would work better to knock it into the laundry basket and put a lid over the top. So, I was supposed to hold the basket and put the lid on after he knocked it in there with a long stick. I'm pretty sure I got the raw end of that deal. Anyway, it worked okay but when Eric picked up the basket with the lid on top, the bird somehow got through the slats of the basket and flew into the living room. I screamed an expletive and then immediately apologized, because I never use language like that, ever. However, I have never been in this situation before either. So the owl was perched on top of the exercise bike, just sitting there staring at us. Eric thought we should get a picture of it, but I told him we were going to get it out first and we would worry about wildlife photography later.


So Eric decides that I should hold up the lid to block the bird from flying into the rest of the house and we opened the door to the porch which is right next to the living room so it could fly out. This seemed like a good plan except the owl ignored the open door and flew right over my head. I'm thinking I got the raw end of that deal as well.


So now the owl was perched on the coat rack next to the kitchen and the other door that leads outside. So Eric goes over to open the door hoping it would fly out, but instead it flew directly back at ME! This time I screamed and hit the floor and covered my head with the blanket I was holding. Somehow, the owl ended up turning around and flying outside where it perched on the deck railing. Maybe it heard us talking about taking it's picture, because it stayed there until we got several shots of it and then it left.


So, the funniest thing is that the kids were asleep the whole time this was going on and when they got up, I was telling Katie the story (which she wanted to hear, since she is an expert on birds and especially owls, according to her) and when I got to the part where I screamed and hit the floor, she said "Yes! That's because it's a Screech Owl!!!" I laughed so hard. Then later Eric and I were looking on the internet trying to figure out what kind of owl it might be and it looks to be an Eastern Screech Owl. So, Katie's very scientific identification process turned out to be correct!


I can hardly wait to hear your comments on this!


5 comments:

gretchen said...

oh my gosh! I would've freaked freaked out. I rem. once a squirrel got in our house and I about lost it...I can't imagine something like that! It's prob. some kind of owl that is never seen or spotted anywhere in the US! wouldn't that be funny!

Jenny said...

I that so darn funny! I only wish I could see it on video!!

Katie cracks me up!

Tenara King said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I am laying on the floor laughing so hard. I would have done the same thing you did. I am sure you didn't think it was that funny then, but it is now!

Mark & Lindsey said...

It sounds like something from a movie-hilarious!!! And Don't worry, in some situations, you're aloud to say things you shouldn't, It happens to the best of us.

TabithaK said...

First off, WOW! I totally would have screamed and jumped on the floor as well!

Second, thanks about the photography. I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go, but I enjoy it!

Moffitt's

Eric, Kristi, Chas, and Katie